Gluten /gloot-en/ is a composite of the proteins gliadin and glutenin. These proteins are found in the endosperms of some grass-like grains such as wheat, rye and barley. Gliadin and glutenin make up about 80% of the protein contained in wheat seed. As they are insoluble in water, they can be got by washing away the starch in the grain. Worldwide, gluten is an important source of food protein, both in foods prepared directly from grains with gluten in them, and as an additive to foods that are low in protein.
Gluten and Celiac Disease
Some people are very sensitive to glutens in their food. When they eat foods which contain gluten, these people may experience stomach cramps, bloating, gas and diarrhoea and rashes. This sensitivity is called coeliac disease (in North America, it is usually spelled "celiac disease").
- Curtis, B.C.; Rajaram, S.; Macpherson, H.G., Bread Wheat, Improvement and production — FAO Plant Production and Protection Series No. #30. , retrieved 2007-08-21
- Pfluger, Laura, Marker Assisted Selection in Wheat, Quality traits. Gluten Strength, Coordinated Agricultural Project (funded by USDACREES) , retrieved 2007-09-29
- Agricultural Databases, Statistics, etc. , USDA Cereal Disease Laboratory, retrieved 2007-09-27
- Wieser, H. (2007), Cereal Chemistry and Dough Properties, KL1-Gluten Chemistry , German Research Centre of Food Chemistry and Cereal Chemistry and Hans-Dieter-Belitz-Institute for Cereal Grain Research, D-85748 Garching, Germany, retrieved 2007-09-27
- Wrigley, C.W; Bekes, F.; Bushuk, W. (2006), The Gluten Composition of Wheat Varieties and Genotypes , AACC International, ISBN 1-891127-51-9, retrieved 2007-09-21
Information as of: 24.05.2020 01:22:06 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License : CC-by-sa-3.0
Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore LinkFang.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.