The Seventeen Provinces were a personal union of states in the Low Countries in the 15th century and 16th century. The lands were about the same as the current Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, a good part of the North of France (Artois, French Flanders), and a small part of Western Germany.
The Seventeen Provinces were first held by the Dukes of Burgundy of the House of Valois. Later they were held by the Habsburgs. From 1512 the Provinces formed the major part of the Burgundian Circle.
The map matches to the following provinces:
- the County of Artois
- the County of Flanders, including the burgraviates of Lille, Douai, Orchies, the Lordship of Tournai and the Tournaisis
- the Lordship of Mechelen
- the County of Namur
- the County of Hainaut
- the County of Zeeland
- the County of Holland
- the Duchy of Brabant, including the Margraviate of Antwerp, the counties of Leuven and of Brussels, and the advocacy of the Abbey of Nivelles and of Gembloux
- the Duchy of Limburg, including the counties of Dalhem and Valkenburg and the Lordship of Herzogenrath
- the Duchy of Luxembourg
- the Prince-Bishopric, later Lordship of Utrecht
- the Lordship of Frisia
- the Duchy of Guelders
- the Lordship of Groningen (including the Ommelanden)
- the Lordship of Drenthe, Lingen, Wedde, and Westerwolde
- the Lordship of Overijssel
- the County of Zutphen
It was not always the same Seventeen Provinces.
Categories: States of the Holy Roman Empire
Information as of:
29.10.2020 04:30:33 CET
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License : CC-BY-SA-3.0
Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore LinkFang.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.