WorldCat is an online catalog stystem which lists the combined collections of 70,000+ libraries in 170 countries.
WorldCat was built by the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC), which is a global cooperative of libraries. WorldCat is maintained by the group of libraries.
In the 1970s, OCLC grew from a regional computer system for 54 Ohio colleges into an international network.
In 1979, the first Canadian and the first international library joined OCLC.
On August 26, 1971, the OCLC Online Union Catalog, now called WorldCat, went online.
- 1975 -- Library and Archives Canada begins adding records
- 1978 -- Koninklijke Bibliotheek (National Library of the Netherlands) begins to participate
- 1987 -- National Library of Scotland begins adding
- 1987 -- National Library of Wales begins contributing
- 1987 -- National Central Library, Taiwan begins adding
- 1991 -- National Library of Turkey becomes an OCLC member
- 1992 -- The National Library of Australia begins contributing
- 1992 -- National and University Library of Iceland begins adding
- 1997 -- National Library of New Zealand begins contributing
- 1998 -- National Library of Ireland begins adding
- 1999 -- National Library of Lithuania begins contributing
- 1999 -- National Library of South Africa begins adding
- 2002 -- Singapore National Union Catalog is added
- 2003 -- Chilean Directorate of Libraries, Archives, and Museums (DIBAM) of the National Library begin contributing
- 2005 -- National Library of Finland begins adding
- 2005 -- Iraqi National Library and Archive begins adding
- 2006 -- Deutsche Nationalbibliothek adds 4 million new records
- 2006 -- Dutch Union Catalog is added
- 2007 -- National Library of Mexico begins adding
- 2007 -- Swiss National Library adds
- 2007 -- Kungliga biblioteket (National Library of Sweden) adds
- 2008 -- National Library Service, Barbados adds
- 2008 -- Royal Library of Denmark and Danish Bibliographic Centre add
- 2009 -- National and University Library of Slovenia begins adding
- 2010 -- National Library of Serbia begins adding
- 2012 -- National Library of Norway begins adding
Categories: 1971 establishments | Websites
Information as of:
29.10.2020 04:56:00 CET
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License : CC-BY-SA-3.0
Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore LinkFang.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.